Bleah. I dont’ even want to think about when I last updated this blog. I have been so busy with classes that I really haven’t had a chance to crochet, much less blog about crocheting.
Still, I hate the fact that it’s been so long since I’ve updated, and that I haven’t been doing so regularly. So: I promise I’ll update a minimum of once a week now.
Here’s my FO:
I’ve been working on this for a while. I have a picture of part of it in a previous post, as a WIP. So you can see the bones.
This is a bassinette, blanket, and nightgown for Esther’s Bratz Baby Yazmin.
The bones of the bassinette are plastic canvas. Annie’s Attic, some time ago, put out some Barbie furniture patterns that were plastic canvas covered in crochet. That’s where I got the idea for this from, though quite obviously this isn’t one of the Annie’s Attic patterns.
This project was prompted by my youngest attempting to claim the eldest’s Bratz doll bed for her own toy. Understandably, Bobbie objected to that plan. But Esther so plainly wanted something of her own, and to the best of my knowledge, they don’t market much of anything for the Bratz Babyz. (And why not? That’s 90% of the Bratz merchandise my kids own, because that’s all that doesn’t come with removable feet. I think they’re missing a huge merchandise opportunity.)
I cut a piece of plastic canvas slightly larger than a Bratz baby for the “mattress” part. Then I cut another 4 pieces–back, sides, & front. The back & sides are all the same height. The front is slightly more than half the height of the back. It is a bit unusual, but I was basically going for the look of a crib with the front dropped down. I wanted Esther to be able to put her doll in & take it out easily. (Ro was 2 when I started this.)
I sewed the frame together with yarn. That’s the skeleton in the post below this one (or maybe the post below the post below this one). Then it sat around for a really long time with no further work being done on it. Eventually, I started to feel guilty, and the girls’ continually asking me if I was done with it yet made it even worse, so I promised myself to finish it.
I made the outside cover in one piece using some Bernat Softee Baby I’ve had for a couple of years now. All of the yarn I used was yarn I had on hand, by the way, some of it older than my middle daughter. I used an F hook, chained big enough to go around the outside, then unraveled a few stitches (ALWAYS, things will wind up bigger than they start out!). I worked in the round, using HDCs, until I got it big enough to reach the top of the front, then started working back & forth. In total, I have 9 rounds/rows of HDC. The frame was stuffed down inside, & I whipstitched the cover & frame together.
Then it sat unattended a couple of more weeks.
I made the bottom part of the inside next, with more sport-weight yarn. I wanted to do it in a solid color, one of the colors I had on the outside. This pink isn’t an exact match for the pink in the outside cover, by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it. I made the bottom, ignored it about a week, then made the sides in pretty much the same fashion I’d made the outside. I sewed the two pieces together and let it sit a couple of days.
Today, I put the inside down in the frame, then attached the inside & outside covers by crocheting them together. I used single crochets. I did this because I wanted a nice finished edge. It was fairly simple for most of it, as I could crochet through existing stitches; the part where it goes down from the top to the front was a little tricky, but really no more so than crocheting along the side of something ever is, really.
After that, I still needed a blanket and a nightgown for the doll. Surprisingly enough, I got both of them done within maybe two hours. Maybe. I really wanted to finish this before Ro gets back from Daddy’s tomorrow evening.
The blanket is some fuzzy worsted weight I’ve had for some time (remember Lovey the Octopus? same yarn). The blanket is simply 10 rows of 15 DC, using a 4.25 mm hook. That’s why I didn’t take a seperate picture of it. No real point. I’d eventually planned to make something a bit fancier, but gave in to expediency at the end.
Last came the nightgown, which I will post a pattern for shortly. It’s made in fingering weight yarn with a 3.5 mm hook. I’d originally intended to use a 3.25 mm hook, but the yarn isn’t single-ply, & so the hook kept splitting it. It was well-nigh impossible to work with.
This nightgown is only 12 rounds/rows’ worth of work. HDCs in the skirt, single crochets in the bodice. There are no seams, and the closure is chain stitch ties (well, chains that were then slip-stitched back down). Only two ends to weave in when done! It is sleeveless for simplicity’s sake.
Here’s a photo of all the components:
Here’s the link to the pattern for the nightgown: Baby Yazmin’s Nightgown
I’m going to start putting all my patterns on this blog, instead of on my Angelfire page. It’s simply much easier this way. I’m not planning to move what I have, at least not yet.